NEW ReSound LiNX Quattro Made for Android and iPhone Hearing Aid Review! Cliff Olson, Doctor of Audiology and Founder of Applied Hearing Solutions in Anthem AZ, discusses the Pros and Cons of the NEW ReSound LiNX Quattro Hearing Aid.
ReSound LiNX Quattro hearing aids were probably one of the most anticipated hearing aids to have been released in recent years. What makes these hearing aids so special is they will soon be able to stream directly into both hearing aids from an Android device. Along with this feature, there are also some other cool new aspects of the new LiNX Quattro.
Lithium Rechargeable Batteries
The first feature we will discuss is the LiNX Quattro’s lithium rechargeable hearing aids. Lithium rechargeable batteries are extremely reliable. With Quattro aids, you can expect to get 30 hours of use on just one charge if you do not stream sounds, and 24 hours of use if you spend half that time streaming. Even when compared to other hearing aids that use lithium rechargeable batteries the Quattro battery life is extremely impressive.
The charger case itself is rather small and holds up to three charges. This is a great feature for on-the-go users, who can just throw the case into their bag without worrying about cords and the need to connect to an outlet. Another benefit is the hearing aids are really easy to remove, making them a good option for people with limited finger dexterity or hand strength. The hearing aids also automatically turn on when they are removed from the charger, without the need to fiddle with any switches or buttons.
Increased Input Dynamic Range
Input dynamic range is really important for hearing in noisy situations, so it is smart to have the highest input dynamic range possible. An input dynamic range that is too low will force your hearing aids to do things called peak clipping and input compression. When this happens, it causes distortion that will make listening and understanding in noisy environments more difficult.
To our knowledge, the LiNX Quattro hearing aids have the best input dynamic range in any hearing aid in the industry.
Increased Frequency Bandwidth
Higher frequency bandwidths equal better quality in speech. Quattro hearing aids are able to hit a frequency all the way out to 9.6 kilohertz, which help us to be better able to program the aids to perfectly match your prescription.
New and Improved Radio
The improved radio inside the Quattro hearing aids improves the signal strength by 5 decibels. This means that the inner ear communication between your left and right ears is more accurate and efficient. In turn, you will have improved spatial awareness with these hearing aids as well as improved localization cues.
The chip in the LiNX Quattro is now 100 times faster than the old chip, which allows for a much quicker processing of sounds. This faster chip, combined with the greatly improved Bluetooth antenna, allows these aids to stream audio with virtually zero lag time.
Impact Noise Reduction Feature
The impact noise reduction feature is perhaps the most exciting for us as audiologists! Previous models of LiNX aids have not had this feature, so it is a big improvement for the Quattro. Impact noise occurs when something loud happens in the environment (for example, setting a ceramic cup down on a granite countertop) that can be really jarring and annoying in the hearing aids. When this noise reduction feature is switched, these sounds are softened and are no longer too loud, annoying, or painful.
Maintained ReSound Assist
Some features, such as the ReSound Assist, are carried over from the LiNX 3D devices. ReSound Assist allows you to get your hearing aids adjusted remotely. This means that from the comfort of your own home, your hearing healthcare professional can make necessary adjustments to your hearing aids.
ReSound Smart 3D App
Another feature carried over from the 3D aids is the ReSound Smart 3D app. This app is my personal favorite of all the apps that currently exist in the hearing aid space.
Size and Fit
Unfortunately, the LiNX Quattro hearing aids are a little bit on the bigger side of modern hearing aids due to their lithium battery. Because of this size, these hearing aids may not be an option for people with a smaller or more narrow space behind their ear or for those who wear glasses.
Not YET Able to Stream Directly from Android Device
The ability to stream from an Android device is the main reason everyone was so excited about the Quattro aids, so this is a little disappointing that the devices were released without this feature. Currently, there is no news into when this feature will be released.
Overall, the ReSound LiNX Quattro is a pretty power-packed hearing aid that may be a great option for you.
The ReSound LiNX Quattro hearing aid is probably one of the most anticipated releases that we’ve had in the recent years. Not only is it supposed to be the first hearing aid that can connect directly with and stream from an android phone, they have also improved upon several of the LiNX 3D features.
Let's take a look at the changes.
1. They are Lithium Rechargeable - I am a huge fan of lithium rechargeability. They are super dependable and get you the best battery life. You can get up to 30 hours without streaming and 24 hours when streaming 50% of the time, which is a TON of time spent streaming.
2. Increased Input Dynamic Range - Input Dynamic Range or IDR, is extremely important for hearing better in background noise. If IDR is too low, the hearing aid is forced to use peak-clipping or input compression which can cause distortion. The Quattro gets the full amount of IDR that is possible with a MEMS hearing aid microphone at 116 dB which is the best in the industry.
3. Increased Frequency Bandwidth - High-frequency is important for speech clarity. In general, you want access to the highest frequency possible, and the Quattros get you all the way out to 9.6 kHz. While you may not be able to meet targets all the way out to this frequency, it definitely helps hitting targets better out to 6 kHz.
4. New Radio - The new radio in the Quattros increases signal strength by 5 dB. This results in a stronger connection between devices and can improve spatial awareness and localization cues.
5. Faster Chip Speed - At 100x faster than their previous chip, the Quattro improves upon the previous generation's sound processing. In combination with the 6th Generation 2.4G Bluetooth, the lag time has been reduced to almost nothing when streaming from phone or ReSound accessory.
6. Impact noise reduction - Finally, ReSouund has a feature that can reduce impact noises and prevent them from reaching uncomfortable levels.
The Quattro still uses some of the great LiNX 3D features like:
1. Resound Assist for remote programming of devices
2. The BEST App in the industry, the Smart 3D
3. It can still stream from an iPhone
However, there are a few things that I am not crazy about.
1. Size - The LiNX Quattro is thicker than the LiNX 3D. if you have tiny ears, you may not be able to wear the Quattro.
2. It CAN'T stream from Android yet! - I know why ReSound wanted to release this hearing aid. It is significantly better than the 3D generation, but the #1 feature that makes this device so exciting is it's ability to stream directly from Android phones. The worst part is, nobody from ReSound has any clue when Google will be developing the platform to make this a reality. For all we know, it could be months.
As I was doing the review, I couldn't help but think about how much hearing aids have advanced in just the past 5 years. Anyone who says that smartphone technology is more complex than today's hearing aids has not spent a day with a hearing aid engineer. And just when you think that hearing aids can't possibly get any better, ReSound releases a hearing aid like this. Just remember, it does not matter how great your hearing aids are if they have not been programmed correctly using Real Ear Measurement. Now if you don’t know what REM is then I Highly recommend you check out my video: https://youtu.be/cHR0Oa6I-wY