Receiver-In-Canal (RIC) hearing aids are by far the most popular style of hearing aids on the market. However, recent consumer demand has forced hearing aid manufacturers to make their devices smaller and better performing than ever before.Signia, formerly known as Siemens, recently introduced their Silk Nx line of Invisible Completely-In-Canal (CIC) hearing aids.
I find these hearing aids impressive for 3 main reasons.
1. They are ready to wear - They do not require a custom ear mold impression. You instead use different size click sleeves to match your ear canal size. They are comfortable and make the devices nearly undetectable.
2. Wireless connectivity - These devices have the capability to communicate with an Apple or Android Smartphone with the Sigia TouchConrol App without any additional hardware. They even have the ability to connect to the Silk CROS making them the smallest CROS option for individuals with single sided deafness (SSD).
3. Full-Featured Hearing Aids - These are not your cheap sound amplifiers that you find advertised on Facebook and Ebay. They are fully-customizable devices that have all the features of hearing aids significantly larger. They have Ear-to-Ear (e2e) capabilities allowing the devices to communicate with each other, helping you hear better in background noise.
As great as these devices appear to be, there are two things that might be an issue.
1. They aren't custom - custom devices can fit all different sizes and shapes of ear canals. If you have odd shaped or extra large ear canals, these devices may not work for you.
2. They don't have custom venting - The click sleeves don' allow the capability to to control vent size which is critical to the performance of hearing aids with certain types of hearing loss. They only come in open or closed venting options.Cons aside, these hearing aids are impressive.
However, even the best hearing aids on the planet don't matter unless you've had Real Ear Measurement performed on them. Don't know what REMs are? Watch this video: https://youtu.be/cHR0Oa6I-wY